I have such a fun post to write on the heels of my vacation! My friend and fellow blogger, Katy, has nominated for me a Liebster award. According to her blog, a Liebster award is a way to recognize smaller blogs (defined as blogs with fewer than 200 followers). So first, THANK YOU, Katy, for this – it was such a nice way to return from vacation. I am looking forward to the day when our babes are a bit bigger and we can make time for hanging out over beer or coffee (or both!).
When you’re nominated for a Liebster, here’s what you do:
1. Thank the Liebster Blog presenter who nominated you and link back to their blog.
2. Nominate 11 blogs who you feel deserve to be noticed and leave a comment on their blog letting them know they have been chosen.
3. Answer the 11 questions you were asked and create 11 questions for your nominees.
4. Display the Liebster Award logo.
5. No tag backs, meaning you can’t just re-nominate the person who nominated you.
To begin, here are the questions Katy posed:
1. What sort of milk do you prefer to drink?
If I had to choose, I would choose chocolate, but only under duress. I do not like milk and never have – the mere thought of a glass usually makes me gag. When I’m pregnant, for some reason, I occasionally enjoy a glass – and when I do, I like 2 percent.
2. Do you prefer baths or showers and why?
I like each for different reasons but if I had to choose one for the rest of my life I would choose baths…there is nothing more relaxing than a long bubbl ebath on a cold winter night.
3. What percentage cocoa do you prefer your chocolate to contain?
Well, I’ve had 70 percent cocoa bars and really enjoyed them but since I am being entirely honest here, I prefer high-quality milk chocolate and really don’t know how much cocoa is actually in milk chocolate. I know, I know, we are supposed to prefer dark chocolate in this day and age but hey, you know what? At least I am at the point where I buy proper milk chocolate as opposed to the Milky Way bars of my youth.
4. What is your about-to-begin-the-workday ritual?
I wake up around 6:00 a.m. each day, prepare a cup of coffee and read part of the New York Times. Around 6:30 or 7:00 I wake up Grace and set her up with some juice (she also doesn’t really like milk and hey, neither did my grandmother! It’s genetic!) and a little television, and Ian and I take turns get ready for work. Around 7:45 or 8:00 I either drop Grace off at daycare (if I’m driving) or take the bus (if Ian is taking her to daycare). I always, always, always procure a second cup of coffee and spend the beginning part of my day, per my awesome job, catching up on world news!
5. Describe your perfect lunch meal.
Aw man, this is nearly impossible! Lunch is my favorite meal of the day and I have a very strong allegiance to it. Don’t even bother inviting me out for brunch – I HATE ruining my appetite for lunch. The thing is, there are just too many variables here…am I at home? At work? On vacation? On vacation in Italy??? Well, okay. I used to adore sandwiches above all things, but despite my best efforts I am growing up a bit, so…if I’m eating lunch at home, nothing beats a bowl of black bean soup with a little hot salsa, cheese, and sour cream, accompanied by a slice of fresh-baked chili cheese bread. If I’m at work and able to leave the building, I love a
glass of chardonnayglass of sparkling water and either mussels from The Sharp Edge or the lobster roll at Eleven</a. On vacation? One of my most memorable vacation meals I enjoyed with Ian at some little hole in the wall on the Chesapeke Bay…an (unedited) cold glass of chardonnay and a plate of perfectly fried calamari. On vacation in Rome, I will always remember the pizza and wine my mom and I enjoyed before joining the hoards to tour the Vatican – everything about it was just perfect.
6. What are your thoughts on flavored dental floss? Unacceptable.
7. What is the most important thing about a dwelling? (Bonus: does your dwelling succeed at this thing?)
Well, anymore I beieve your home should support the lifestyle you like to have, so if you love rehabilitating a house then an older home might be right for you. If you prefer spending your weekends traveling or writing your home should not be difficult to maintain. This is a lesson Ian and I learned the hard way. Our dwelling is becoming what we need it to be, but doesn’t currently support our lifestyle.
8. Do you really untie your shoes before you remove them? Every time?No, never. If my mom knew it would drive her batty – she always used to tell me I was ruining the heels that way. Since I mostly wear high heels anyway, this isn’t too much of a problem for me.
9. What is your goal in blogging?
When I began blogging at my old blog, my goal was to practice article and story ideas out on the blog, and connect with other writers. My goal here is still to connect with other writers, but this year I’m really trying to adhere simply to the schedule of posting once a week – to keep showing up and hitting the keys no matter what Grace’s toddlerhood throws at me. I’m sure that goal will morph again as my children grow up and I’m able to devote more time to writing.
10. What part(s) of your current life is/are the way you imagined when you were in middle school?
Well, I thought I’d be an unmarried, childless Broadway actress, really and truly. So honestly? None of it. Thank God.
11. What would you say to your young self if you encountered her on her first day of college?
Figure out how to get properly involved with the English department. Try and write for the literary magazine, try out for the school paper, make friends with other English majors! (This is really my only college “regret” – I made lots of friends, studied by butt off, acted in plays, went to football games, but I struggled to really gain footing in the English department while there). Well, that and don’t open that shady credit card. You don’t know it now but you won’t pay it off until your thirties.
Now, for choosing my nominees! Please, please don’t be offended if your blog has more than 200 followers and I’ve nominated you – there is really no way to tell how many followers a blog has so basically I’m choosing blogs not affiliated with blogher and babble. The blogs I’m nominating are blogs I love for different reasons.
4. Emily Barton
5. Jen’s Feeling Forty
6. More than a Weed
7.Make Tea Not War
8. Musings from the Sofa
10. Tripping Toward Lucidity
11. Queen of Spain
And now, my eleven questions for my eleven beautiful blog nominees!
1. What is your favorite cookie?
2. You are home entirely alone, with no obligations to clean the house, catch up on homework or any other such nonsense. For my writer friends, you’ve already written that day. What do you do? And…
3. What do you eat and drink?
4. Is your day job also your vocation, or do you dream of doing something else one day?
5. Describe your dream vacation.
6. Do you know who the Kardashians are?
7. What’s your greatest health-related fear?
8. What’s the most recent, nice thing somebody has done for you?
9. How many pillows do you sleep with?
10. Dog person? Cat person? Neither? Both? If both, how do handle shedded fur management?
11. To go with a couple of upcoming posts I have planned, what is the best financial advice you ever received? Did you actually follow it?